Linear voltage regulators take a high input voltage and produce a lower output voltage. This voltage is dropped across a variable internal resistance and the power is dissipated as heat. Low input-to-output devices are called low dropout, or LDO, voltage regulators. Typically, designers have multiple external LDOs and capacitors providing the output voltages for their ASIC or SoC.
Our Power Quencher® LDOs do not require any external capacitors and are optimized for integration right onto the die of the ASIC or the SoC. With this integration, the ASIC or SoC only requires one external supply voltage input, not multiple supply voltages. For many of our customers, this is a change in their architecture from multiple external supplies, to a single external supply to generate all of the required supply rails internally.
You should consider this architectural change as it gives your product many advantages over your competitors, including fewer component count, lower cost, smaller board area, improved reliability, and simpler overall implementation.
- No external capacitors required
- Extremely low power consumption
- Fast transient architecture enables excellent load transient regulation
- Stable at no load and for a wide range of output capacitance
- Ideal for applications where size, output voltage accuracy, and output noise are of concern
- Optimized for PMUs integrated on-die in ASICs or SoCs
- Low power consumption makes them ideal for Internet of Things (IoT) applications
LDO PRODUCT PORTFOLIO
Our Power Quencher® LDO IP cores operate with ultra-low levels of power consumption without sacrificing other areas of performance. These LDOs do not require the external output capacitor that is typically needed in an LDO for loop stability and noise reduction. This saves component count, board space and cost, and improves overall system reliability.
For added technical support or information on how to license this IP, contact us directly.
“Analog and Power Management Trends in ASIC and SoC Designs”
“Introduction to Low Dropout (LDO) Linear Voltage Regulators”
“Guide to Choosing the Best DCDC Converter for Your Application”